Tuesday, August 9, 2016

A Long term review of Pulsar 220F DTSi.

A Long term review

                                             Like every boy, I too had a dream to own a good looking, fast, affordable and durable motorcycle. I learned to ride motorbikes only when I was in midterm of Degree College. It was a friend Honda Unicorn – first generation model. The Honda engine was extremely pep and nimble.  The feeling that day left me with something that I carry even today and maybe probably will till the end. However, the things were not so favorable for me to buy a new motorcycle when I was in the college, but then as someone says when you want something with all your heart, the entire universe works to get it to you.
                                             It was inevitable. I had to get a motorcycle! After struggle to get a job in the mid of recession, here I was working as a Software Engineer in a good MNC and earning a handsome salary. I decided to take the plunge. I was never a fan of cruiser bikes; I always wanted fast bikes, not that I am a fast or a reckless rider. I would rather call myself as a safe-fast rider. The only motorcycle i could think of was the Bajaj Pulsar 220F DTSi. It was known as the “Fastest Indian” at that time. With 21Bhp and 19Nm of torque, Pulsar 220F was indeed the “Fastest Indian” on road at that time.
                                             I booked the motorbike through a sub dealer in Mira Road. I took the delivery on my Hunter (as I call it), on 7th October. It was Dushera, a good day to pick up the new family member. Below are the specifications of Pulsar 220F DTSi.


Displacement
220cc
Maximum Power
20.8Bhp @ 8500 rpm
Maximum Torque
19.12 Nm @ 7000 rpm
No. of Cylinders
1
No. of Gears
5
Seat Height
795 mm
Ground Clearance
165 mm
Kerb/Wet Weight
150 kg
Fuel Tank Capacity
15 litres
Top Speed
134 kmph

                                             Since then it has been a part of my life or rather I would say, a part of me. Every time I am on my motorcycle, it is like an extension of my body. Today, I have completed 37400Kms on my motorcycle which includes daily commute to office to long bi, tri state tours. I have enjoyed each and every moment of my ride. The powerful toque of the engine just launches the bike from a traffic signal like a roar; you actually have to search other bike behind you in your rear view mirrors.



                                             Below are the pros and cons that I have come across.
Pros:
1.       19Nm of torque lets you take off from a standstill. Feels amazing.
2.       21Bhp from the engine keeps you always ahead. Feels absolutely amazing.
3.       Large 15 litres of fuel tank helps me skip many fuel stations while long distance touring.
4.       Extremely ergonomic and well designed. In short looks sexy.
5.       Front fairing is extremely useful in cutting wind lash on the face and chest thus making the rider less fatigue.
6.       Projector – High beam and Xenon – low beam head light. Turns pitch black night into a sunny day.
7.       LED tail lamps. Well designed and visible from a long distance.
8.       Digital + analog display console. Give a lot of information.
9.       Great after sales support. Parts are available everywhere.

Cons:
1.       Rear view mirrors need getting used to.
2.       Hard seats make your rear scream.
3.       Auto choke causes starting problem.
4.       No ABS.
5.       Only 5 gears. Needed 6th one too.




                                             Overall, I am extremely happy with this bike. Hats off to everybody in Bajaj for bring out such a good product at such an affordable price.



No comments:

Post a Comment